You can never have too many varieties of this popular Indian spice.
- 1 C. green cardamom pods, husked
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 1/4 C. cloves
- 1/4 C. black peppercorns
- 1 Tbs. grated nutmeg
- Roast spices in a small, heavy-based pan over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly until they become a shade darker than their original color.
- The spices will also give out a distinct aroma and the pan will emit light fumes of smoke.
- Remove spices from pan and grind them to a fine powder in a spice or coffee grinder.
- Store in an airtight jar for up to 6 months.