- Whole white urad dal/Muzhu ulutham paruppu 3/4 cup
- Rice flour (optional) 1 tsp
- Orange food colour 1/2 pinch
- Salt A pinch
- Sugar 3/4 cup
- water Just to immerse the sugar
- Lemon juice 1/2 tsp
- Rose essence 4 drops
- Orange food colour A pinch
1. Soak urad dal for 2 hrs and grind with very little water as we do for grinding vadas.(Approximately less than 1/4 cup).The batter should be fluffy and smooth).Mix a pinch of salt,food colour and rice flour(if desired) and mix well.
2. Heat the sugar with water just to immerse it and after it starts boiling,let it boil for 3-4 minutes.Add lemon juice,food colour and lastly essence and mix well and switch off the stove. Take a zip lock cover and make a hole with a thin nail as shown in the picture.The hole should be very tiny.
3. Fill half the cover with the batter and first practice doing in a plate…Draw two circle as shown and over it,draw small swirl like circles over it.Just practice 2-3 times you will get it right
4. Then heat a broad,flat bottomed pan(keep the flame in low) with only little oil say 1 inch depth.
5. The oil should not get fully heated,when it starts forming small,small bubbles in the bottom,then draw jangris in the oil,repeat the same to make many.
6. Once the jangris gets cooked and becomes light,turn over and cook till crisp and then take out carefully and transfer to the sugar syrup. I used Chop sticks for this,which works out very well.You can use the one they use for turning paniyaram…
7. Dunk the fried jangris in hot sugar syrup for 1-2 minutes and take out carefully and arrange it a plate.Give a 1/2 hour standing time.
8. Ready to enjoy!!!