- 2 cups gram flour/besan
- 2 cups sugar
- oil for deep frying the Boondis
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashewnuts
- 1 tablespoon raisins/dry grapes
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cardamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds/badam (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pista ( optional )
1. Mix gram flour with just enough water to make a thick batter ( like dosai batter ). Add the saffron .
2. Heat clarified butter (ghee)or Oil.
3. Through a Boondi karandi/sieve ( as shown in pic), gently place batter drops into the hot oil. Fry till golden yellow and drain out. They should be 3/4 th done.
4. Continue till all the batter is used. Reserve the fried drops as boondis.
5. Heat sugar with 3/4 cup water and make a sticky syrup of one-thread consistency.
6. Fry the ingredients in Set 2 in little ghee.
7. Add fried boondis, fried ingredients in Set 2 and cardamom powder and mix well.
8. While still warm, shape the syrup-coated boondis into round laddus, and leave till dry.Store in airtight containers
Tips: One cup makes about ten laddus. Store in refrigerator for longer shelf life. Boondis should not be fried completely, then they will turn crisp. They should be 3/4 fried to absorb the sugar syrup.